Friday, September 23, 2011

MHJ #7

In my life this week... I have felt very blessed. We are always blessed but extra specially blessed this week. If you know me you know I don't typically win anything. This past week I was blessed with not only winning one but winning 3 drawings and for great homeschool stuff!! EEKKKK!!! {Sorry I am a little excited!!} I also was richly blessed to be a featured blogger this week as well.Check that out here.

In our homeschool this week... It has honestly been a struggle for us. While last week was our first week off of virtual school and it went wonderfully, this week... well... Let's just say mommy has to rethink some things. ;-) I have been pushing I think a little longer than what he is capable of sitting so this week is going to be a reflection and reboot for me. I am starting to see somethings that work for him and some that do not work at all. That is the blessing of homeschool. He is not shoved in a classroom having to "make do" with a ton of other kids when what is going on does not work for him. I am going to start trying some new ideas and looking for others from the great blessings of homeschool mommies out there. I know it won't be long and we will find our groove. It is just trial and error till we get there!

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice... I am learning the old motto clearly, "If at first you don't succeed, try try again. ".

Places we're going and people we're seeing... We had our homeschool classes again this week. It is so nice to get out and share with other mommas who have been doing this much longer than me. We also got to have a wonderful picnic with our friends at the park. I love that it is starting to cool down just a little so that it is bearable to be outside again. We are also planning on going to see Dolphin Tale today for homeschool day. I want to take Boo Bear to meet Winter if possible since I found out she is not far from here.

My favorite thing this week was...I had two favorite things ;-)  Starting our Space study. I am loving this as much as he is I think. I am so enjoying learning all these great facts about the planets. I can't wait until we take them one by one and study them in more depth. My second favorite thing was when we had restaurant night for daddy. Mommy dressed up in clothes that Boo Bear picked out and we had a menu all set up for daddy when he got home. Boo Bear welcomed him to our classy restaurant and seated him at his table. He also served him his food AND put on a magic show.

What's Working/Not Working for us... Well what's not working is working without a timer. I was timing us before to see how long we were spending on each subject and to also remind myself of breaks. I haven't been doing that and we work for longer than we should sometimes and he gets fidgety and I get frustrated. LOL Because I haven't realized that this 5 year old has sat and worked for an hour and a half. ;-) So I am going to go back to a timer. I am also going to reevaluate what we are doing and tweak it just a little.

I'm reading... I need some suggestions! What are some great books now? Help! :-)

I'm cooking... We tried a wonderful recipe shared by another blogger. It is called a Pizza Bubble and you must try it. Check out my post to see how it turned out!


A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
 We were waiting on Daddy to get home.


Join other families on the homeschool journey over at Sue's link up at:

The Homeschool Mother's Journal




5 comments:

  1. I love the photo. I'll have to check back to take a peek at your space study -- my 7-year-old is very interested in that topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Im glad you are figuring out what is working from what is not .... I loved when you said about not having to shove them in a classroom and them just make do :) its sO true... not everyone can sit and handle the 9 hours a day writing work or what not! Good luck! :) and YAY for winning some fun exciting homeschool stuff! stopping by from HMJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live by your tip, as well! Congrats on being a winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for stopping by. I always love hearing from other MHJ Mama's as you guys are such an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first time doing HMJ!
    So thrilled and so love being a part of the HipHomeschool Mom Team! have a great week!
    Love your beach pic, we live in FL - where are you? I am a big fan of timing things - but just recently went with a wall chart where I can change times up eachday and put a huge clock on the wall so my youngest can see where we are up too ... so far, so good!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!