Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Whole Wheat Raisin-Coconut Muffins


I was trying to grab a recipe out of my many books that Boo Bear could cook with me. So at lunch yesterday I was looking through my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and came across this. I tweaked it a little to fit what we have here but there were so many options.You could take it sweet or savory and we chose sweet. I used the whole wheat flour version because I am a diabetic and trying to do it the most healthy way I can. I am not sure if you could use Splenda instead of the sugar but I'm going to try it later. I do know my experiences cooking with Splenda, (baking anyway) doesn't turn out the nice rising effect you get with sugar. I'm still learning how to do it with Splenda and coming out pretty and brown :)
Tried to get Boo Bear To cook with me ;)



The call of chasing the hound dog was just too much though so he bailed quickly after ;)

Raisin Coconut Muffins

Ingredients:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs lightly beaten
3/4 cup applesauce
3/4 cup milk
2 TBS butter, melted
1/3 cup raisins, (or your favorite dried fruit)
shredded coconut

Directions

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray 12 muffin cups and set aside. Mix your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients and set aside.


In another bowl combine your eggs, milk, applesauce, and butter.

Add the egg mixture to the flour all at once and stir just until moistened. Fold in your stir in choice. For us it was raisins because that is what we had on hand. You could use blueberries, cranberries, apricots. Whatever you like.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. Here is where I added some sweetened shredded coconut. The original recipe called for streusel topping and coconut but I was out of brown sugar. I just topped it with coconut and tossed it in the oven for around 15-18 minutes. Cool in cups on wire rack for 5 minutes then remove from pan. Serve warm

They are not overly sweet so you could try different things with them. I enjoyed them because they were a nice texture but not so sweet that you couldn't enjoy them. Course sweet muffins are great too ;)


Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!