Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thankful Thursday... Never Forget

Today is more than just thankful Thursday. Today is a day we will always remember. A day that we will teach our children about in history books or with our first hand experiences. Today is a day we will never forget and hopefully, neither will our children. Today is the day that lives in America changed forever in a blink of an eye.

Even now, 13 years after the tragedy of 9/11, we still sit around and can remember exactly where we were. We remember what we were doing when we first heard the news. We watched in horror as one tower fell. Then the other. We waited with hopes that survivors would still be found, until the last one was. We huddled together and cried. We hung on to our families and that day like we haven't in quite some time. We called those we hadn't talked to and we were all a little kinder. A little more patient. A lot more patriotic than this country has seen in ages.

As my son is older each anniversary, we talk a little more about what happened that day. We discuss the things that took place and each year we dive a little deeper. I don't want my son to forget that day. He wasn't around then but it's something that none of us should ever lose sight of.

So today, as we remember the lives lost and forever changed that day, we will also be thankful for the lessons taught that day. We will be thankful for every breath, every moment together and every opportunity to thank the service men and women who don't hesitate to run at the enemy to protect their own.

I'm thankful for:
 - An amazing man I call my husband. Yes I'm thankful for him a lot but he's a blessing I couldn't have ever imagined. I met him the year after this tragedy happened on September 14th. I remember talking to him on the anniversary of the first year and I was in tears still then. He and I talked about where we were and what we were doing when it happened. Little did I know that a few days later I would meet my husband.

- I'm thankful for this amazing blessing we get to call our son. He makes me smile, laugh and cry on occasion. I have never known that my heart could live outside of my body until I met him. He's smart, handsome, talented and compassionate. I couldn't ask for a better son than him. I love you Boo Bear! Don't ever forget that!

- I'm thankful that I can homeschool that wild bundle of energy. That we can talk about this day and research it for his understanding. That we can chase the rabbits down the whole that might trail off of this and whatever else he may want to learn. I'm thankful that even though there are days I want to pull my hair out, the days that memories are made and sweet laughter is heard are far more and outnumber those bad days.

So take time today and cuddle with your children and family. Pray for those who were forever changed by this day. Pray for those children who lost their parents and will be turning 13 this year. Pray for the families of those service men and women who gave their lives on that day by running into the fire and not away from it. Pray for those who have lost their lives over the past 13 years fighting for our freedom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!