Saturday, April 14, 2012

Actions Speak Louder than Words

You ever have those days where the Holy Spirit basically smacks you in the head? :-) I had one of those already and it is only 10:00 a.m. It is wonderful to have one of those days but it is also sombering and thought provoking.

It all happened over a cup of juice.. Yep... Seemingly innocent right? Well first it was my water, then a cup of juice. Boo Bear was so excited this morning because he has learned how to do a flip. This was quite difficult for him at the Karate class we tried last week and he just decided to work on it this morning. He was successful and so excited! :) I was too.

Well while playing on my bed he knocked my glass of water over. I didn't come out and say anything to him but he could tell by my actions I was not happy about it. He apologized and I told him it was my fault too. I shouldn't have set it on the edge of the bed while I was doing what I was doing.

Then he asked for a snack and I got it and sat back down to do some work. Then almost as soon as I sat down he said mom can I have some juice? I huffed and shook my head and got up to go get it. Again... He apologized for waiting to ask me and I didn't say anything but my actions were very loud.

While going into the fridge the Holy Spirit decided to smack me in the forehead. Not literally mind you but might as well have been. I am trying to teach my son to be a servant to others, to help others, to care for others and to do what is right. I am wanting him to learn proper manners and how to show God's love to others. How am I doing that? With actions or words? My actions were not showing a servant's heart that God wants us to have. My words may say one thing but my actions have to follow through or else I am speaking empty words.

I am not saying it will be easy. I know it won't. Things get frustrating and I fail but when the Holy Spirit smacks me with something I think I need to listen up :). We are telling our children more than we know by how we act and react to certain situations. Driving, standing in line at the grocery store, dealing with the craziness at Wal Mart ;). All these actions speak louder than what our words say. How can we expect them to learn patience when they see us get frustrated over having to wait an extra minute because someone is taking longer than we think they should?

So I am making an effort to make my actions speak what my words speak. Lord help me to show and model the servant's heart, the love You have for us and for others and how to live a life fully and wholly devoted to you for my son. Help me to think first, react later and be slow to anger. Thank you Holy Spirit for smacking us around when we need it ;)

Have a blessed and wonderful weekend friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!