Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thoughts This Thursday: Homeschooling

So after the episode on Tuesday after picking up my little man I have been thinking quite a bit. Now when I say this do not think that I am just now considering this option. This has been a long time {four years to be precise LOL} in the making. I have never seriously thought it because I just didn't think I had it in me. Daddy and I have been talking this week about homeschooling Boo Bear. Both of my parents are teachers and I just don't like what I know they have to deal with inside the school. I am so sad every time I read the paper or hear of articles on bullying instances, kids doing things that they shouldn't even know about yet, and kids just being plain hateful to others.

Some people may think I am just being silly. Oh he needs that experience. Well my frame of thought is he doesn't have to deal with some of those things now. He can later in life but if I can protect him now I will. I want him to get the best education and that is not going to be shoved into a classroom with 20 or more kids and being taught a test. {the lovely test that all kids take starting in 3rd grade here} I want him to be prepared for college. I can honestly say that I was not. Oh, don't get me wrong. I had all A's and B's in school and came out with very high grades in some classes. The problem was I knew how to memorize the right answer for a test and not get the concept. I don't want that to be what he does.

I have found out that Florida is very homeschool friendly. They make it a nice option and there are tons of groups in our area that home school their children. So I will have a support system. I am so very thankful for all the teachers out there that do go into the school system and work hard. You guys area awesome and it is appreciated, what you do. I just feel this is the best option for him to get the best education possible.

That is all I want for him.. The Best there is.

So all you home schooling mommies and daddies out there... What are your ideas? What makes it work for you guys? How do you plan out your day? I am open to all your ideas and want to hear your stories! Stop on by and let me know why you chose to home school.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I think what made it work for us this year was taking the time to develop those rhythms and learn what homeschooling looks like for us. Also, being flexible and finding homeschoolers (kids AND parents) with similar mindsets. It's good that you have options for a support system. Try out lots of groups until you find a good fit. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!