Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Thoughts: Why I want to Homeschool

So for a few posts {once a week LOL} I am going to lay out why I want to homeschool. I think having it in writing and in front of you is very beneficial to see what your plans and goals are. I have honestly become so overwhelmed with the vast amount of knowledge out there that I am becoming less confident in myself to do this. I know I can and I believe he will thrive by using these different tips but I am overloaded. :o) Do you ever feel that way? When you are researching a topic or something that you are interested in, the internet provides SO much at once that it is very easy to get overloaded. So I am taking the advice of another homeschooler over at Confessions of a Homeschooler and remind myself why I want to take this journey.

I truly want to give my son the best opportunity out there. Private school is not an option right now as the economy is so tight and we are on one income. That is a blessing to be able to stay home with him. I know that I could try to find a job to pay for that but private schools will still have some of the same issues a public school would. Public schools... well... First off I tip my hat to any public or private school teacher. Your job is often difficult and sometimes { more times than not} thankless. Oh you might get some of those students every once in a while that will be so thankful for what you did and really appreciate you. But you have to deal with administration, students, parents and other staff that make your job a difficult place to be. Thank you for all you do.

Now that being said, there are also those teachers who could care less and have been burned by the system so they do the bare minimum to get by. Or they have to teach a test so the child is only learning the bare essentials to do well on that particular test. It is not teaching them how to think for themselves or truly survive in this world. This is my first reason.

I have seen the products of the generations coming out that are so engrossed in their phones, or computers that have no social skills whatsoever. People talk about socialization being a down fall when it comes to homeschools but what is my son going to learn by being thrown in a class with 18-20 other kids that may or may not be polite or have manners. He is going to pick up their habits which only gets him in trouble at home. He will be herded through the school and pushed from point A to point B without really getting to investigate. The socialization he will get from school is going to teach him how to be afraid of other children that might be bullies, how to be focused on electronics because that is what everyone else has.It will teach him he always has to be first and not just do your best to succeed.{ I know this one first hand after this year of pre- k. It seems to have unraveled all I have tried to teach him.}

So when I wonder why I want to homeschool I remind myself that I want to help him thrive and succeed. I want him to be able to explore the world around him and learn all he can while he is still interested. I want him to be able to ask questions and if a subject or task is a little hard, that is ok! We can spend more time on it. So I guess to boil it down my first reason is I am not trusting in our public school system any more. I do not trust them to protect my child. { look around a newspaper and see those examples everyday} I do not trust that they can always have the best for him due to budget cuts, pay cuts and simply just being tired of teaching. I want him to learn that God has created this great big world around us and that He wants us to explore it and see how great He is. He won't learn that in a public school.

Sorry that this is a crazy long post but I just want to get it out there {for my sake} on why I do what I do. This face is more than enough to tell me that:

3 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you! I am in the homeschool journey (a little over a year now) with four children. And you're right - while the information on the Internet is great and accessible, there is so much and it can easily overwhelm. I've learned to take a step back and often I'll find a handful of good old-fashioned books and read those. I personally love "The Well-Trained Mind" as it provides an excellent framework and timetable if you're considering classical education, Robin Sampson's "What Your Child Needs to Know When", "Raising Godly Tomatoes", "Easy Homeschooling Companion" and I adored Karen Andreola's "A Charlotte Mason Companion". Good luck to you. I look forward to following your site as you make this incredible journey.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a homeschooling mom of 4 kiddos. 3 of them are teens!! We have doing it for 3 years and it has transformed our life for the better. My kids have blossomed in a way I never even dreamed would happen! We are currently using Sonlight and it is our first year with that and wow! My kids love it. Good luck on your journey. You won't be sorry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your encouragement! I am super excited about our journey. Thanks for stopping by and can't wait to share in this with you all!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!