Friday, January 25, 2019

What is Worship?

This past week in youth we discussed what worship is. Let me tell you. These students can totally blow my mind sometimes with the questions they ask. Be AWARE! This generation is not dumb. They aren't stupid, or just stuck on technology. Take a minute here. Listen to me. This generation is AMAZING!

They ask questions and have thoughts that I didn't think till I was way older than they are. They are pushing their youth pastor and their leaders to step up their game. That's a GOOD thing. So, with that in mind, we have been having some crazy discussions lately. Mostly about what it means to have a relationship with God. To rely on Him fully and how we can do that.

This week we focused on worship. What it is. What it is not. What we need to remember.






What is Worship?
Worship is giving reverence, and adoration to a deity. It is an act of expressing that reverence or "extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem".

Worship is:
  1. Giving God the honor due to Him - Psalm 29:2
  2. Thanking God for EVERYTHING He has done for you. Even the tough times can be times of thankfulness and worship.
  3. Allowing God to speak to you. Shutting out the world, and actually listening to what He has to say.
  4. A lifestyle. It's not just singing and clapping on Sunday's or other "church" days. It is a lifestyle. You can worship in work, in deed, in giving, in everything you can do. Do it all unto Him!
Worship is NOT: 
  1. About you. It's not about how "great" you feel or how many goosebumps you got during the songs. Our focus should be on God, not on what us. 
  2. A concert. Yes, God gives the musicians and singers talent and gifts. Yes they use them, but it's not about you saying how good the band was that day. It isn't a concert for you to enjoy. It should be an immersive experience that you participate in.
  3. A time filler. It's not to just waste time. It's an important part of the service or your day. 
Remember...
When Joshua and the children of Israel were walking around Jericho, they blew the trumpets and shouted. That's when God took down the wall. David danced and didn't care what people thought of him as he worshipped God. He just knew God was worthy and he was going to give all his praise and adoration to Him. Paul and Silas were beaten, bloody, bruised, and chained in prison. Yet, they sang hymns and prayed. Right there in prison. That's when the earth shook, the chains broke and the doors flew open. 

Worship is warfare. Worship is intimate communication with your Father. Worship can be loud, it can be silent. There's no right or wrong way to worship. 

I shared with the teens something and I'm going to share here. I believe in being transparent. I LOVE Bama football. If you know me, you know that. I'm not quiet when I watch a game. It's loud. It's noisy. I jump up and yell and shout. 

One day watching a game the Holy Spirit nudged me and asked me why I got more excited about a ball game than worship. 😐I mean yeah, I get excited but I still worried about what others thought. I've made up my mind not to do that anymore. Do I still feel "weird" or like people might laugh at me? Absolutely. But you know what... Jesus died for me. He took my beating, my punishment, my shame for me. The least I can do is be giggled at or looked at for worshipping Him. 

I encourage you to worship in your way. It doesn't have to be loud and jumping around. It doesn't have to be quiet. It is however you worship. Just Worship...

It can move mountains. It can give you peace and joy and remind you that God loves you and has you right where you are. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!